Renew your Montana driver's license

Determine the Status of Your LicenseRenew-License

You may renew your license up to six months in advance. If you aren’t sure about the status of your license, you can get a copy of your driving record.

Valid License
Class D licenses expire at different intervals and are renewed for different lengths depending on your age:

* Under age 21: Your license expires on your 21st birthday. Renewals are valid for eight years.
* 21-67: Renewals are valid for eight years.
* 68-74: Renewals are valid until your 75th birthday
* 75 and over: Renewals are valid for four years.

You may renew your license in person, by mail (if you live in Carter, Garfield, Golden Valley, Jefferson, Judith Basin, Madison, Petroleum, Prairie, Treasure, or Wibaux counties).

Expired License
It is illegal to drive with an expired license, but you have up to three months past your license’s expiration date to renew without having to restart the licensing process.

Suspended License
You’ll need to follow a separate process to have your license reinstated. Expect to see a jump in your insurance rates.

Lost License
Follow the process to obtain a duplicate license.

Check Your Renewal NoticeRenew-License

The MVD should send you a renewal notice before your license expires. The notice is not necessary to renew.

Renew OnlineRenew-License

This option is not available.

Renew In PersonRenew-License

Everyone is eligible to renew in person at a driver exam station. You will:

* Bring your license or other proof of identity
* Take a vision test
* Show proof of your Social Security number
* Pay the fees in cash or by check ($40.50 for an eight-year renewal)
* Get a temporary license until your new one arrives in the mail in four to six weeks

If you’re renewing at a limited service exam station, pay your fee first at your county treasurer’s office. Bring the receipt with you to the exam station to renew.

Renew By MailRenew-License

You can choose to renew by mail if you live in Carter, Garfield, Golden Valley, Jefferson, Judith Basin, Madison, Petroleum, Prairie, Treasure, or Wibaux counties. You cannot renew by mail two times in a row.

Members of the Military
If you’re an active member of the military, you can renew your license at any time before it expires. You can also apply for a license extension by mailing the proper form. This will extend your license until 30 days after your honorable discharge. Email for more information.

Out-of-State Civilians
If you temporarily live in another state, you must wait until you return to the state to renew.

Update Your Driving SkillsRenew-License

Taking a supplementary traffic school course can be a good way to brush up on your driving skills and learn about new safety techniques. Plus, it may even lower your insurance premiums.