Apply for New Mexico driver's license

Choose Your LicenseApply-License

First-time drivers and new residents need to apply for a New Mexico driver’s license. You can get:

* Regular driver’s license for passenger cars and pick-ups (Class W)
* Commercial Driver Licenses (Class A, B, C)
* Motorcycle license (Class M)

If you are under 18, you are required to take driver’s ed before getting a provisional license. Once you’ve had a provisional license for six months, you can get your regular license.

Take a Driver’s Education CourseApply-License

Younger than 18: Driver’s education classes are required.

Ages 18-24: You must complete a home-study DWI-awareness program, "None for the Road." Visit the MVD for an application for the course materials or call (877) 663-7465.

Age 25 and older: Driver’s education is not required but highly recommended.

Prepare for the TestApply-License

Study the state’s driver’s manual and take a few practice tests.

Locate an MVD OfficeApply-License

The best way to avoid lines is to make an appointment at an MVD field office at least 48 hours in advance.

Make Test-Day PreparationsApply-License

Prepare to present:

* Current, out-of-state driver’s license (if applicable)
* Birth certificate or certified copy
* Social Security card
* Two proofs of residency (P.O. box does not count)
* Proof of completion of "None for the Road," if applicable
* $18 for four-year license or $36 for an eight-year license

You must also pass a vision test so bring your glasses or contacts if you need them.

Out-of-State Residents need only pass the vision test unless your license has been expired for over one year.

Take the Written TestApply-License

Go in and take the test when you feel prepared.

Get a CarApply-License

If you’re considering a used car, it’s a good idea to get vehicle history reports on a few you’re interested in. If will give you background information, such as whether the car has a flood or salvage title or if it has undergone any major repairs.

Get Car InsuranceApply-License

Shop around to find the best car insurance policy. Check for safe driver or good student discounts. Some give rate breaks for supplementary driver’s ed classes, too.

Take the Driving TestApply-License

Make an appointment for the driving test. Some offices allow you to take the written test and the road test on the same day.

Once you pass, you’ll be issued a temporary license valid for 45 days.

If you fail, make another appointment to retake the test.

Receive Your License in the MailApply-License

Your permanent license should be mailed within 10 days. If you don’t get it, call the office.


If you become a resident, follow the same process as described above. The only difference is identification requirements.

You’ll need to provide a Social Security card. If you are not able to get one, you need to provide two other forms of ID, which can include:

* Individual tax identification number (ITIN) or a letter from the IRS issuing an ITIN
* A Matricula Consular card issued after February 1, 2005 by the Mexican Consulate in Albuquerque or El Paso, TX
* Valid foreign passport if you are ineligible for an ITIN or Matricula Consular card

You must provide one of the following:

* Original or certified foreign birth certificate, with an English translation
* Original copy of FS545 or FS1350 form, documenting birth abroad, with an English translation
* N560 certificate of citizenship
* N550 certificate of naturalization
* Valid, permanent resident card issued by the US government
* Valid I-551 resident alien card issued after 1997
* Marriage certificate issued by a US state or territory

Proof of Residency If Over Age 15
Provide two of the following:

* Bank statement
* Employment pay stub with your name and address
* Insurance statement (car, home, health) documenting current coverage
* Property rental or purchase agreement
* Any utility bill, except for a cell phone bill
* Local property tax statement
* Local mortgage document
* Proof of having a child enrolled in New Mexico’s school system
* Valid vehicle registration certificate
* NM medical assistance or public assistance card
* Original document from a NM community organization, or from a city/county/state/tribal/federal government organization confirming you are a NM resident